Friday 7 March 2014

Why Black People Don't Do Crazy Things






Sometimes my friends, usually the non African/Black people, invites me to go with them for extreme outdoor activities like bungee jumping, skiing or snow boarding, extreme hiking you know stuffs that could kill you. My response to their invitations is generally "Nah, I think I will pass..." But they don't usually understand why someone could pass out an opportunity to do such exiting and adrenaline filled activities. After all YOLO* right?


Well let me try to give you a simple explanation as to why we Black people prefer to keep in real. First of all it is not common to every Black person to try and avoid dangerous activities, some Black people do those stuffs just as some non-Black people would also prefer keeping it real. But generally Black people stay away from danger primarily because our parents taught us when we were kids to watch out and be careful not to hurt your self. And even Hollywood movies have promoted the danger-phobia Black person stereotype who in many cases is the first person to die in the movie. But I think a more reasonable reason would be that Black people are always facing life threatening situations in their real lives that they learn to be more cautious and are desensitized to the rush of adrenaline that comes with these situations or if they do have that rush it reminds them of the hostile situation that they are in or have been in. So be it in the ghettos of Soweto, streets of Harlem, villages of Somalia, down town Lagos, wild parks of Kenya, mines of the DRC or slums of Haiti Black people face dangerous, life threatening events day in day out and haven witness these all their lives they do not feel any need to try playing with their lives as those of other races might do. Another reason Black people don't do those things is that they would not like to do anything just for the sake of doing it, there is always a catch either materially or financially. This is mostly common among Black Africans. I have a friend who said, while we were discussing about hiking, that "...if you want me to climb a mountain put something up there and tell me it is mine if I go get it."

So this is in short why I don't go skiing or bungee jumping with my friends. And I will not tell my kids, if I ever have one, YOLO* but instead I will tell them YOHO**. And I suggest you to consider YOHO too. But in case you are in for the thrill here is a list of 60 crazy things to do before you die. Good luck.

*  YOLO: You Only Live Once
** YOHO: You Only Have One life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use the comment section to give your opinion in a respectable way and decent language, Thank you.